Sunday, October 07, 2012

FamilySearch Find Of The Day: Carl Gustav Märten's Petition For Naturalization

I stumbled upon these records a few years ago, when I originally ordered copies of the naturalization records for Langlade County, Wisconsin. With the new addition of the new FamilySearch database, "Wisconsin, County Naturalization Records, 1807-1992", I've been able to get higher-quality digitized images of my family's naturalization records. Today's find is the Petition for Naturalization documents for my 3rd-great-grandfather, Carl Gustav Märten. Reviewing the documents today, I realize there may be some information I I might have overlooked; especially his place of birth. Here is an extract of this record:

No. 16

United States of America
Department of Commerce and Labor
Bureau of Immigration and Naturalization
Division of Naturalization

Petition For Naturalization
Circuit Court of Langlade County, Wisconsin

In the matter of the petition of Gustav Martin to be admitted a citizen of the United States of America. To the Circuit Court of Langlade County, Wisconsin.
The petition of Gustav Martin respectfully shows:
First. My full name is Gustav Martin
Second. My place of residence is number (blank), town of Polar, Langlade County, Wisconsin.
Third. My occupation is Farmer
Fourth. I was born on the 23rd day of August, anno Domini 1846, at Meidam, Germany
Fifth. I emigrated to the United States from Bremen, Germany, on or about the 1st day of April anno Domini 1883, and arrived at the port of Baltimore, Maryland, in the United States, on the vessel Hohenzolen (Hohenzollern)
Sixth. I declared my intention to become a citizen of the United States on the 1st day of November, anno Domini 1884 at Beaver Dam, Dodoge County, Wis. in the Circuit Court of Dodge County, Wisconsin.
Seventh. I am married. My wife's name is Augusta Martin. She was born in Grossenfeldt, Germany (Gross Schönfeld), and now resides at Polar, Langlade County, Wisconsin. I have 4 children and the name, date and place of birth, and place of residence of each said children is as follows:
*Otto Martin Born March 14th 1877 at Grossenfeldt, Germany (Gross Schönfeld)
*Gustav Martin Born June 21st 1882 at Grossenfeldt, Germany (Gross Schönfeld)
*William Martin Born August 1st 1883 at Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
*Alvina Martin Born February 11th 1885, at Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
and all now reside at Polar, Langlade County, Wisconsin.
Eigth. I am not a disbeliever in or opposed to organized government or a member of or affliated with any organization or body of persons teaching disbelief in organized government. I am not a polygamist nor a believer in the practice of polygamy. I am attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and it is my intention to become a citizen of the United States and to renounce absolutely and forever all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, and particularly to William II Emperor of Germany of which at this time I am a subject, and it is my intention to reside permanently in the United States.
Ninth. I am able to speak the English language.
Tenth. I have resided continuously in the United States of America for a term of five years at least immediately preceding the date of this petition, to wit, since the 1st day of April anno Domini 1883, and in the State of Wisconsin for one year at least next preceding the date of this petition, to wit, since the 19th day of April, anno Domini 1883.
Eleventh. CROSSED OUT

Attached hereto and made a part of this petition is my declaration of intention to become a citizen of the United States required by law. Wherefore your petitioner prays that he may be admitted a citizen of the United States of America.
Dated Nov, 12th, 1908.
Gustav Martin (Signature of petitioner.)

State of Wisconsin
Langlade County
Gustav Martin, being duly sworn, deposes and says that he is the petitioner in the above-entitled proceeding; that he has read the foregoing petitions and knows the contents thereof; that the same is true of his own knowledge, except as to matters therein stated to be alleged upon information and believe, and that as to those matters he believes it to be true.
Subscribed and sworn to before me this 12th day of November, anno Domini 1908
A. Nowotny, Clerk.

Declaration of Intention filed this 12th day of November, 1908
A. Nowotny, Clerk.

Affidavit of Witnesses
Circuit Court of Langlade County, Wisconsin
In the matter of the petition of Gustav martin to be admitted a citizen of the United States of America.
State of Wisconsin
Langlade County
V. P. Rath, occupation County Clerk, residing at Antigo, Wisconsin and
J. W. Parsons, occupation County Judge, residing at Antigo, Wisconsin
each being severally, duly, and respectively sworn, deposes and say that he is a citizen of the United States of America; that he has personally know Gustav martin, the petitioner above mentioned, to be a resident of the United States for a period of at least five years continuously immediately preceding the date of filing his petition, and of the State in which the above-entitled application is made for a period of fifteen years immediately preceding the date of filing his petition; and that he has personal knowledge that the said petitioner is a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and that he is in every way qualified, in his opinion, to be admitted a citizen of the United States.
V. P. Rath
J. W. Parsons
Subscribed and sworn to before me this 12th day of November, anno Domini 1908.
A. Nowotny, Clerk.

No comments:

Post a Comment