Tuesday, April 19, 2011

FamilySearch Find Of The Day: Tippah County, Mississippi Deed for G. W. Vance

Back in April, I had made a visit to the Newberry library in Chicago, which is known for it's genealogical resources. To my delight, I found a book entitled "Land Deeds of Tippah County, Mississippi, 1836-1870", by Don Martini. I made a post about this in a previous entry, which you can find here. I was thrilled to be able to browse through this book and find the indexed information I needed for my Howell and Vance lines. My brick-wall ancestor, Hiram Howell, was murdered in Tippah County, Mississippi in 1853. His daughter Temperance Howell was married to George W. Vance, place and date unknown.


I was ecstatic today to see that FamilySearch had added a database called "Mississippi, Tippah County Records, 1836-1923". Instantly, I knew I'd be able to view the actual documents from the indexes I had previously obtained. Oh boy, was I excited! The first entry I located was a deed concerning my ancestor, George W. Vance. He apparently owed Jesse Embry $200. George W. Vance's stallion, the "Duke of Gloucester", was taken as collateral and given to Simon R. Spight to sell upon the date the money was due, if not paid in full. Quite interesting! I wonder what made this stallion worth $200 in 1845! Was this stallion a predecessor and ancestor to some modern race horses? Below you can find an extract of the record:

Deeds, 1844-1846, Volume F
Pages 97-98

Simon R. Spight, in trust from G. W. Vance
This indenture made the 24th day of February in the year of our lord one Thousand Eight hundred and fourty five by and between G. W. Vance of the county of Tippah and State of Mississippi of the first partiam, Simon R. Spight of the county and State aforesaid of the other part whereas the said G. W. Vance is indebted to one Jesse Embry in the sum of Two Hundred Dollars by two notes of hand are of which is for one hundred dollars due the 25th day of December 1845 and one also for one hundred dollars due the 25th day of December 1846 each note dated the 25th day of February 1845 and the same G. W. Vance being willing to give Jesse Embry a certain assurance that his money shall be paid at the expiration of the time specified in each note Therefore this indenture witnessth that the said G. W. Vance as well in consideration of securing the said Jesse Embry in the faithfull payment of the debt as also the sum of one dollar to him the said G. W. Vance in hand paid by the said Simon R. Spight the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged hath granted bargain sold transfered and assigned and set over and by these presents doth grant bargains sell assign transfer and set over to the said S. R. Spight his heirs and assigns _?_ _?_ Stallion known by the name of Duke of Gloucester to have and to hold the said horse unto the said S. R. Spight his heirs and assigns forever in trust however and to the intent and purpose that if the said two notes for the sum of one hundred dollars each are not well and truly paid of and discharged before the expiration of the respective times specificed 25th December 1845 and 25th December 1846 for one hundred dollars each by the said G. W. Vance or some other person for him then in that case the said S. R. Spight shall in the executing the trust hereby taken upon himself Advertise the said Horse for the span of twenty days by written advertisement at four public places in said county one of which shall be at the court house door of the county aforesaid that he will expose to the highest bidder the said Horse on a particular day for ready money and if the money aforesaid be not still paid on the day designated as aforesaid then the said S. R. Spight shall proceed to sell the above described Horse to the highest bidder for ready money and aforesaid sale to make a good and sufficient bill of sale in for said Horse conveying all the right and will that said G. W. Vance or his heirs may have in and to hoe same provided nevertheless that the said money should be paid before the day of sale herein mentioned these this indenture to be wholely void and of no effect either in law or equily in witness whereof the said G. W. Vance sets his hand an seal the date above written.

G. W. Vance (Seal)

List
CHarles G. Yancey
Richard Shelton
James H. Embry

6 comments:

  1. I have a book on Vances at home. Is GW Vance your line?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, G.W. Vance is my ancestor. He was born about 1826, I believe in Tennessee. He married Temperance Howell before 1846.. probably Mississippi or Tennessee. Lived in Tippah Co, MS in 1850 and died before the 1860 census. His family relocated to Carroll/Montgomery counties, MS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Vances are from Carrol County. They came up from Alabama from SC. There were several brothers from SC and they all ended up in MS. When I get back home I will see if your GW is mentioned. My line is from John P Vance who had a son George W Vance b 1826. John married Isabelle McAnulty in SC. The McAnulty was proved by a probate of her brother Robert in Carrol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know of the Vance family you're talking about. I don't think mine and yours are connected at all, although I have your Vance family in my .ged database because of random connections with them being old Carroll County settlers. What other Carroll County lines do you have? Here are mine: Bennett, Blaylock, Chatham, Costilow, Howell, Martin, Rodgers.. I descend from these families. Contact me at my email or add me on Facebook, I'd love to correspond more: nickmgombash@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any relation to Robert Vance who married Melissa Harris in Adams County, MS in 1897. Robert died in or before 1900. My Harris ancestry centered around Carroll County. Also great grandmother was Annie G Howell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nick I missed your last comment. (rolling my eyes) My other families in Carroll are O'Neal, Coward, and Porter. The Porter line has been the most rewarding because of genealogy serendipities, and the hardest because of untimely deaths in the mid 1840's.
    Thanks... will look for you on FB.
    FranEllsworth

    ReplyDelete